How to Make Cursed Candy Apples for Halloween
I don’t know about you, but I am all about that Halloween spirit! Playing dress-up, enjoying scary movies and pigging out on candy – what’s not to love? I recently tried out this easy recipe for candy apples, and decided to give them a bloody twist!
- Apples – 1 dozen
- 12 wooden candy apple sticks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon black gel food coloring
1. Wash and dry your apples thoroughly. Place on a baking sheet and poke firmly with dowels or sticks. Line a second baking sheet with buttered parchment paper, and set aside.
2. Place a baking thermometer in a medium saucepan and add sugar, 3/4 cups water, and corn syrup. Place over medium heat; whisk until sugar is dissolved. Let the temperature rise without stirring until it reaches the hard-crack mark at 310 degrees F.
3. Remove pan from heat. Carefully remove thermometer, and add food coloring.
4. Swirl pan to mix in the color completely. Swipe and twirl the apple through the candy, shake off excess, and place on the buttered baking sheet. Repeat with remaining apples.
PRO TIP: You can use red food coloring to create “bloody candy” apples or green color for “Poisoned” apples!
PRO TIP: Tip your candles in a smooth caramel first so create an extra layer of sugary delight!