Pesto: All Health, All Taste
The growing trend of a group of foodie friends coming together to open a restaurant seems to have become quite popular, and lucky for us Karachiites, something new always seems to be popping up every couple of weeks. Enter, Pesto.
With the recent spate of health awareness and good eating that has been making the rounds around town, it is no surprise that two friends, along with their wives, decided to foray into the world of food and take advantage of a space that is sadly still left wanting. From salads to steak, decadent desserts and excellent coffee, Pesto promises the most comforting and soothing ambiance to accompany the food they serve, making it a great place to hang out with your friends, or alone with a good book.
In full disclosure, I had been invited to try out the fare being served at Pesto, but my review shall be honest as was my feedback to the owners. Listing what I tried from most to least favorite.
- I had almost given up on the idea of a proper, thick foam topping on any cappuccino in Karachi, but Pesto was finally the one who delivered what I was looking for. With a nice milky foam coating on top of my cup with a delicious mild coffee brew beneath – I can now look forward to visiting again for their Americano.
- For starters, I loved the Air-Fried Halloumi Sticks! Instead of being deep fried, they are are given a crispy delicious exterior and soft, cheesy interior through an air fryer, and are served alongside their in-house pesto sauce.
- The Crying Tiger Beef Steak is a must have for your mains at Pesto! Starting from the perfect cut of meat to the marinade, the overall presentation and the delicious sweet chili sauce with Thai red chilies that make you cry with happiness, everything on my plate came together in perfect harmony!
- If you ever have a hankering for a light, zesty and fresh sandwich, Pesto does a great Lemon Chicken Sandwich, which is served with the crispiest, yummiest air fried sweet potato fries I have ever been blessed to put in my mouth. Okay, I’ll confess. I would just order a bucket full of those sweet potato fries and call it a day. Heck, I don’t even like sweet potato fries!
- If you’re adventurous and want to veer away from the regular creamy pasta fare served here, go ahead and try the Ragu Pasta, made with whole wheat pasta coated with a slow-cooked meat and vegetable stew that has a strong tomato base.
- I was quite excited to try the Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls, and while they truly were full of fresh vegetables, it seemed as though the authenticity of it got lost in the ‘desi’ touch added with the spicy chicken, which for me overpowered the simple flavors of the vegetables. Added to that, the papers were loosely wrapped, making it a little difficult to eat.
- Dressing drenched salads don’t exist at Pesto. The Skinny South West Beef Bowl stays true to the essence of a salad, keeping the fresh greens and grilled beef slices separate from the dressing, served separately in a small ramekin. And in case you get bored of the greens, enjoy the toasted whole wheat pita served along with your salad.
- The Brazilian Beef Skewers, while flavorful for what they were, weren’t my cup of tea. If I had to choose a beef item at Pesto, it would have to be the Crying Tiger Beef Steak. In comparison… this failed to hit the mark.
- Now I don’t know about you, but pizza for me is a calorie-splurge, indulgent, cheat meal treat. For those who absolutely love pizza but also love their waistlines (unlike me) do try the whole wheat flatbreads. While it wasn’t my favorite, I can tell you the ingredients used are of top notch quality.
By this time I was so full I didn’t have space for dessert, and sadly have to save that for another day. While there were some misses, the hits truly came out on top, and I have to give team Pesto two thumbs up for veering away from the typical café menu and going for healthier options without compromising on taste.
Some of my friends over at Eats plan on heading over tonight to give it a try, so check out their Instagram @eatsofficial to ride along for the experience!